Chicago Radiological Society Distinguished Service Award
The Distinguished Service Award of the Chicago Radiological Society (CRS) was established in 1978 and is bestowed annually on a member who has brought honor to the Chicago radiological community through outstanding service in teaching, research, organizational work, or practice.
Chicago, IL—The Chicago Radiological Society honored Thomas H. Grant, DO, FACR, Professor of Radiology at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine, with the presentation of the Distinguished Service Award, the highest honor the Chicago Radiological Society (CRS) can bestow upon a member. The Distinguished Service Award or Gold Medal was presented to Dr. Grant at the March 21, 2013 CRS Meeting to recognize his outstanding leadership in organized medicine on local, state and national levels and his many years of dedicated service to radiology.
Born in Bay City, Michigan, and raised in Bay City and Detroit, he received his undergraduate degree from Michigan State University and medical degree from the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1970. After completing an internship at the Atlantic City Hospital in Atlantic City, New Jersey, Dr. Grant moved to Chicago to complete his diagnostic radiology residency at Michael Reese Hospital.
Dr. Grant began his professional career as Head of the Section of Diagnostic Ultrasound at the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine and later became Chief of Ultrasound and Body Imaging at Michael Reese Hospital while serving on the faculty of the University of Chicago as Assistant Professor of Clinical Radiology. He subsequently served on the faculty of University of Illinois at Chicago as Assistant Professor of Clinical Radiology before returning to the University of Chicago as Associate Professor of Clinical Radiology and Section Chief for Body Imaging at the Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital. In 2000, Dr. Grant joined the staff of Northwestern Memorial Hospital as Attending Radiologist and Associate Professor of Radiology at Northwestern's Feinberg School of Medicine. From 2001 to 2010 he was the Director of Medical Student Education for the Department of Radiology at the Feinberg School of Medicine. He was awarded full Professorship in 2008.
Past president of the Chicago Radiological Society, Dr. Grant served on the CRS Program Committee prior to assuming the position of CRS Vice President and Program Chair and continued as a member of the CRS Board of Trustees until 2006. He served on the Illinois Radiological Society Executive Committee from 1999 until 2007 and served as Alternate Councilor to the American College of Radiology from 1999 to 2003 and ACR Councilor from 2003 to 2007. Dr. Grant also served as a member of the Socio-Economics for Residents Committee from 2003 to 2008 and continues as a member of the IRS Membership Committee and the ACR Appropriateness Committee for Gastrointestinal Imaging. For his many contributions to both organized and academic radiology, Dr. Grant was awarded Fellowship in the ACR in 2004.
Dr. Grant has been an active member of the Radiological Society of North America, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, American Osteopathic Academy of Radiology and Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound. A prolific writer, Dr. Grant has authored numerous articles for peer-reviewed publications and book chapters.
Dr. Grant and his wife of 42 years, Nitza, reside in Chicago and have three grown children, Aliza, Sperling, and Adam, and are proud grandparents to Noah, Tatum, and Micah.
- 2011–2012: Kathleen A. Ward, MD
- 2010–2011: Kate Feinstein, MD
- 2009–2010: Gary L. Dillehay, MD
- 2008–2009: Richard A. Mintzer, MD
- 2007–2008: Thomas M. Anderson, MD
- 2006–2007: Geoffrey L. Smoron, MD
- 2005–2006: Gregory D. Moss, MD
- 2004–2005: Leonard Berlin, MD
- 2003–2004: Carl J. Vyborny, MD
- 2002–2003: Ruth G. Ramsey, MD
- 2001–2002: Robert P. Cavallino, MD
- 2000–2001: William L. Schey, MD
- 1999–2000: Jerry P. Petasnick, MD
- 1998–1999: Steven M. Pinsky, MD
- 1997–1998: Daniel J. Murphy, M.D
- 1996–1997: Lawrence H. Lanzl, PhD
- 1995–1996: Frank R. Hendrickson, MD
- 1994–1995: Andrew Poznanski, MD
- 1993–1994: James J. Conway, MD
- 1992–1993: Lee F. Rogers, M.D.
- 1991–1992: Ulrich F. Danckers, M.D.
- 1990–1991: Frank L. Hussey, Jr., M.D.
- 1989–1990: Raymond L. Del Fava, M.D.
- 1988–1989: Franklin S. Alcorn, M.D.
- 1987–1988: Benjamin Felson, M.D.
- 1986–1987: Leon Love, M.D.
- 1985–1986: Richard E. Buenger, M.D.
- 1984–1985: Harold J. Lasky, M.D.
- 1983–1984: Howard C. Burkhead, M.D.
- 1982–1983: William T. Meszaros, M.D.
- 1981–1982: Theodore J. Wachowski, M.D.
- 1980–1981: Frank L. Hussey, Sr., M.D.
- 1980–1981: Earl E. Barth, M.D.
- 1979–1980: Harvey White, M.D.
- 1978–1979: Frederic D..Lake, M.D.